SMART Goal Setting
Get SMART with Your Goals
In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.Does this quote describe your life? I know it strikes a chord with me, but I'm learning to change that. My loyalties are shifting away from the daily trivia and towards my dreams. We need all the tools we can to help us make this change in our lives. One tool is the SMART acronym. It reminds us of what we need to do to create and achieve the goals to make our dreams possible. Here we have a quick introduction to each of the 5 areas. We'll see them in more detail in further pages.
-- Robert Heinlein - US science fiction author (1907 - 1988)
- pecific -- details are important in your goal setting.
- easurable -- you need to have a way to gauge your progress.
- ttainable -- keep it within the realm of possibility.
- elevant -- you need to make sure that the goals you set are relevant to you. Don't try to live the dream of someone else.
- imely -- you need time limits for your goals.
Let's dive right in and see if we can change our slavery to trivia for freedom to dream!